Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pumpkin Goodness!

.Why I love fall, besides Halloween, is mother fuckin' pumpkins! Pumpkin bread is one of my classics and this time it was a twofer. Here at the Green Tortoise Hostel, we have two lovely gluten-intolerant ladies, who deserve to eat just as many yummy things. I've never worked with gluten-free flour before, this was definitely an experiment. But I has success! Along with two gluten-free loafs, there was a regular loaf, and a variety of pumpkin seeds. So lets get going...

Bubble seed!
It was a very peculiar white pumpkin.

The whole pumpkin bread began when I found out that Chelsey, one of the hostel's concierge, usually received a loaf for her birthday. It also being around Halloween, I wanted a pumpkin, and last year I discovered that the white one are unique in taste and texture (great for pumpkin butter!). (No picture for Chelsey's bread)

This is Otter and this is her gluten-free loaf.
She's awesome circus folk.

This is Colleen's loaf, she's my awesome manager, unfortunately not present for picture. She supplied the gluten-free flour, Red Mills brand.
That decimated plate in the background was the unbleached flour loaf for everyone else.

Totally not a vegan loaf. Melted butter, eggs, brown sugar, sugar, ginger, nutmeg, paprika, and a bit of baking powder.

And the pumpkin seeds! Three kinds (L to R): Cayenne pepper/paprika/salt/garlic powder/nutmeg, brown sugar/paprika/salt/nutmeg/pepper, turmeric/curry/garlic powder/paprika. Slightly dry roasted then, lightly drizzled with olive oil.


Now I want more. I shall see what Pike's Market has in store for me.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment